31 May 2010

Ogres Part Four of ?: Special Choices...

Greetings,

This post is going to be about the two Special choices that I use for the Ogre Kingdoms and why I didn't choose the third.

Scraplauncher

This was the latter of the pair of specials that I use in my Ogre army. It has had issues with misfires, but that is a theme that all Ogre weaponry has.

The main thing I like about this model is the sheer absurdity of the model. It's a stone thrower on a chariot that does a large template, strength 3 with killing blow. This is bizarre... With accurate guesses you can really disrupt the opponents plan. They can potentially kill things like large units of low toughness troops or even heavily armoured knights. The potential to kill knights by rolling a 6 to wound.
The main issue is the misfire chart for it. In the first game on the first turn it misfired, had an axe/cleaver/spiky thing to the crotch of the rhinox/ stegadon and then he charged into my general's unit and took two wounds off of my Bruiser with impact hits. Ho-hum...

As far as the GW model goes, I really don't like it and it is horrible to put together. The ones that I've seen over here aren't impressive from a model standpoint.

So when I was starting my Lizardmen army I picked up a brace of stegadons and didn't attach the howdah on one of them. After messing about with my bits box and sprue for several hours, I made the construct below. While I was making this I was going on a bit of a Lustria theme bender. My Ogre Hunters have the crossbows from the different weapon upgrades for the stegadon, and I also made a Lustria theme Maneater. This was a throwaway thing as I though that it would be pretty useless all things considered. I have been pleasantly suprised.

Provided I don't roll a misfire it has been doing really well recently. Killing 7 High Elf spearelves with a single shot, after hitting a unit of 20 that had the Shield of Saphery on it. It may not make it's points back, but it scares people.

What I really don't like about it is that you can only have one of these per unit of Gnoblars. Trappers or Fighters, but it is a very annoying restriction.


Leadbelchers

Leadbelchers are loads of fun.To be honest I'd take them anyway just for the throwaway line in the army book of;

"Boom, hur, hur..."

That single line has done more to enamour me to these Ogres. They are one of the most fickle units in the game. With a poor roll on the artillery dice you can explode the entire unit, but with an average roll your opponent will never under-estimate them again. I have managed to evaporate entire units with these guys. Managing to get the best out of these units at the moment is a bit of an issue.

When you fire the unit, you MUST do nothing with them AT ALL for an ENTIRE turn. No moving, combat, shooting as you reload the cannons. This is the main drawback with the unit. They are still equipped the same as naked Bulls (Ogre Club), but they do have light armour, for all the good it does...

At the moment the only thing that I have been really doing is having 3 Leadbelchers and one upgraded to a bellower. This gives them the chance to always attempt to rally at Ld8, since they can never be reduced to 25% and the bellower will be the last model removed. This also gives me a maximum damage output of 30 S4 armour piercing shots, hitting on 4+. Unfortunately the worst roll can kill the unit twice over... But for 175pts for that unit of 3 they are a nice unit to put on the flanks. If something charges you they are going to be damaged at least, turned into mist at best, maybe laughing at worst when your Leadbelchers explode.

They aren't as reliable as most players would like, but they are really nice in my experience. They have done more damage than not.


Yhetees

I don't like the model. Simple enough to start with. I really don't like the fact that if you take them, they are expensive, can't be buffed by Gut Magic and they are faster than the rest of the Ogres in the army so they are normally a very fragile glass hammer that will get killed due to them ignoring terrain.

I also don't like the fact that if you take the Greyback Pelt for your characters then you can't have the Yhetees in the army. So the only way to have a character supporting the Yhetees means you can't have them... Yeah... That's smart.



Aftermath

I think that there are maybe going to be two or three more posts on the Ogres. Rare, Items and Big Names then talking about the army in general. Maybe...

Regards,

English Pillock

No comments:

Post a Comment