19 April 2010

Ogres. Part I of ?



Greetings,


Now for myself Ogres were the first army I started playing with on a regular basis for Warhammer Fantasy.

"What were the reasons for choosing such a lackluster army?" I hear you cry. Quite simply put; 14 Ogres can hit 750 to 1250pts. What was in the Battalion? 14 Ogres and 24 Gnoblars.

I'd also never seen them being played when I went into the store, nor had I actually heard anything bad about them.

To start with I got the Batallion set and the Army Book and read it on the subway trip from Orctown (Orctown is the only GW retailer in South Korea and they do a mess of other systems, but that is another post entirely) to Anyang-si (Anyang-si [안양시] is a city south of Seoul where I was living and working at the time I'd started my Ogres).
Korean subway etiquette is, at times, totally alien to that of London and at others it is a carbon copy of it. I was happily reading through the army book and at times giggling like a loon and recieving the standard amount of strange looks for firstly being a foreigner and secondly for giggling.

The army book was actually funny in a kind of macabre way (I have a black, burnt and occasionally still on fire sense of humour at times). This coupled with the idea of only having to buy, build and paint a relatively few number of models was highly entertaining. So much so that I not only missed my transfer, but I ended up correcting my mistake and missed my transfer going back the other way! Never has an army book engrossed me so.

Getting back to my apartment an hour later than I should have done I had roughly figured out what I wanted to do for the Ogres. I was going to make a Tyrant/Bruiser model, 2 Butchers, 3 Ironguts, 6 Bulls and 2 Leadbelchers. The Gnoblars were ignored. I didn't want to spend time dealing with a unit that would only come to 50pts at most and would be left behind due to their lack of speed and their chance of bickering.

I built them rapidly and set towards painting them in my very lazy way (this is a trend that is only now starting to change as my painting is better and is still improving).

I was able to get a lot done and I managed to have a 500pts game with 8 models that were partially done. I can't remember how it went, but I do remember that I really enjoyed how they functioned.

I had started down the path of the horizontally challenged and I have slowly managed to reach a rather high number of Ogres. Here is the list afore I finish this and add a piccie to the header.

Tyrant/Bruiser
4 Butchers
2 Hunters
18 Bulls (3 Banners, 3 Bellowers)
18 Ironguts (3 Banners, 3 Bellowers)
16 Trappers
8 Leadbelchers
Scraplauncher
Slavegiant
5 Maneaters- Brace of handguns
5 Maneaters- Great weapons
5 Maneaters- Cathayan longsword

Next Time on... (might as well be a segue...)

I will look at some of the units and see how things did in hindsight.

Regards,

English Pillock

No comments:

Post a Comment