13 September 2010

High Elves

Greetings,

Here are the first fully painted, although not based High Elf models that I have finished. I am using a non-standard colour scheme due to a limited palette and I hate painting white.

Paint Scheme

I start by painting all of my models Deneb Stone. I've found that it is a much nicer base to work with than Chaos Black or Skull White.

The plume and the cloth then gets painted Blood Red. It is a nice contrasting colour that is normally not seen on High Elf models.

The mail is painted with Chainmail. This is the middle tone of silver that GW does. If I wanted darker I'd have gone with Boltgun Metal, or if I wanted lighter I'd have gone with Mithril Silver. Too light and the red trim would look even darker. Too light and they would have not suited the way I ink.

The surcoat running just under the armour was painted with Mechrite Red. It gives a subtle change to the model making it slightly darker, while not changing the model's overall colour scheme and tone.

Areas of the armour and swords were painted with Shining Gold. This was to give the models a bit more colour as they don't have shields and it was also used to make them look elite.

The face was done using Humbrol Acrylic 61, which is like Tallarn Flesh. I will be going back to Tallarn Flesh as I don't like the consistency of the Humbrol paint. Both give a similar look, but the GW inks don't settle as well on the Humbrol paint.

The whole model was doused with Badab Black. This is one reason why I didn't want a darker silver. The face and gold were gone over with Gryphonne Sepia or Devlan Mud. This brings out the vibrancy of the gold colour.

The gems were painted with Deneb Stone, then gone over with Thraka Green. I used two coats of Thraka Green as a single coat lacks vibrancy.

I don't use any highlights. Mainly because I don't really know how to do them. Also I don't see my armies as being too pretty. I prefer them to look as if they have walked through a swamp, or out of a coal mine.

Sword Masters


Prince on Griffon


Mages


Regards,

English Pillock

No comments:

Post a Comment